By Jillian Boston, Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutrition Specialist
Happy Spring, I hope you are all doing fabulous! With the fresh energy of the new season it’s a great time to set goals and go after something new. I often get asked how to get in shape in 6 weeks or how to lose weight before summertime hits. In a world full of quick fixes it can be so hard to understand how to get the lasting results you’re looking for and want them to immediately happen. I totally understand it but in my 10 years of experience in the health and fitness industry I can tell you that it’s not about the quick fixes you do but about the things you consistently do that pay off! It is Beth Whitney and I’s goal to show you all that it is about setting yourself up to live better each day verses doing a fad diet or craze that only gives you results for a few weeks. Below are 7 lifestyle tips that will not only help give you results now but help you to live better daily so that you don’t always have to “start over” when Spring time hits:
- It’s the small habits that add up to big results: Changing one thing in your day may seem pointless but it will actually add up to huge results over time. Try adding hot water with lemon to your morning routine. This will hydrate you, detox you, give you great clean energy and the best part is the it takes 30 seconds to make. Having a positive start like this to your day will automatically have a ripple effect and make the rest of your day better.
- Slow and steady wins the race: I know this may sound clique but it’s true! In order to achieve something you have to give yourself time to let it happen. Aim to practice consistency verses burning yourself out. Set the goal of walking for 10 minutes a day. It will get you moving, takes minimal time, and is something that will add up to big results over time.
- Believe you can and you will: No one can control your day but you. If you believe you can do something, you will. If you say you can’t, you won’t. First thing in the morning write down the things you can accomplish, then at night look back at everything you did. I have no doubt you’ll be impressed with yourself and this will fuel you motivation to keep accomplishing more.
- Step away from the screens and get outside: Studies have shown that stepping away from your phone or computer for just 10 minutes can help reduce stress, increase productivity, and give you a much needed mental break. All of these things will help you feel better physically and mentally which will help produce better results over time.
- Eat foods with no added sugar: Instead of feeling like you have to go on a crazy strict diet, start slow by making it a priority to read nutrition labels. By swapping out a food with tons of added sugars for a food with no added sugars you are already making a positive change. These small swaps will add up to big results. You’ll have more energy, you’ll sleep better, and you will just all around feel better and healthier.
- Drink lots of water, every day: Up to 60% of the human adult body is water so the more water we can fuel ourselves with the better our bodies function. Set the goal of drinking a glass of water every morning when you get up. It’s a simple goal that will leave you feeling incredible.
- Prioritize your sleep: When we sleep we are letting our body and mind heal and rest. In doing so you will naturally crave healthier foods, perform better in your workouts, and have more natural energy.
I hope these tips help you thrive this spring and help you reach your goals for the long haul. Have a fantastic Spring and remember you can do anything you set your mind to!